Yard Waste Compost Facilities
Yard waste compost lots are a great place to recover grass clippings, leaves and brush from your landscape. Material brought to compost facilities is properly handled, cured and transformed into a usable commodity.
Over a period of several months, grass and leaves are combined and repeatedly turned until they naturally decompose into a crumbly, dark substance known as compost.. Compost is great for lawns and gardens! Compost is screened to aide in the removal of debris. While it is impossible to remove all impurities, the screening process makes a tremendous difference! Compost has proven to be a high demand product but is only available seasonally. Compost can be purchased for $5.00 a cubic yard when available, call the District at 1-800-777-5462 for details and locations. An operator is on-site to load vehicles.
All brush such as tree limbs and shrubs are chipped into usable wood mulch. No stumps or land clearing materials are permitted at the lots. This material is readily available for residents. All material is natural, no coloring added, and one inch in size or under. In 2008 the District obtained certification from the Indiana Department of Natural Resources for it's mulching operation. The certification verifies that mulch from the compost lots is safe to transport without risk of transmitting the emerald ash borer species. Wood mulch can be picked up at any of the compost lots listed below.
All yard waste facilities are open from mid-April through mid-November and after the holiday season for live Christmas trees.
- DeKalb County – Take Indiana Avenue North through the blinking light at the intersection of Indiana Avenue and North Street. Immediately after the light, turn left at the T-road onto County Road 36. Travel approximately two miles and the lot will be on the left. Lot is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m.–7:00 p.m. and Saturdays from 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m
- Kendallville - On Wayne Street across from the Waste Water Treatment Facility. Lot hours are Tuesdays 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.; Thursday and Friday from noon -7:00 p.m.; Saturday 8:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m.
- LaGrange – CR 75 N., east side of LaGrange Co. Fairgrounds.
Lot is open daylight hours Monday through Friday and daylight hours on Saturday
- Ligonier – Gerber St., north of railroad tracks, west side.
Lot is open 8:00 a.m.– 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and no Saturdays
- Steuben County – CR 175 N., NW of Angola, adjacent to Steuben County 4H Fairgrounds. Lot is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m.– 7:00 p.m. and Saturdays from 8:00 a.m.–3:00 p.m.
If you have questions about Emeral Ash Borer, information can be obtained at www.emeraldashborer.info
BACK to Recycling Programs
BACK to What Should I Do With...